Friday, April 24, 2015

From my position on my back in the corner of the classroom, I took in Lawton Hall’s presentation with a sense of appreciation. He is one of the few people I have met to have not only stayed in Wisconsin post Lawrence, but to also advocate staying here. I think he understands that this to do exciting and creative things here, one needs to take initiative; take the first step in creating what you want to see instead of waiting for chance to fly your way, like it might in a more populous area. I enjoyed this particularly because Wisconsin – Appleton especially – is an easy target for bashing amongst Lawrence kids. It seems like a universal conversation starter amongst the student body; whether it be a go-to if the conversation takes a turn for the dull, or a scapegoat if the clusterfuck of anxieties in ones life manifests itself as an aversion to Appleton. Either way, Appleton - and its offerings - are stepped on casually, liberally and happily. Beyond that, it gave me hope to see such a young alumni having the success he is so soon out of Lawrence. I though it was quite funny when I realized that many of his friends (those in ‘Holy Sheboygan’), were in fact my friends as well (Julia, Cameron and Cary). It made me start thinking of the projects I could do with the talent close to my life; with the friends around me now.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, i agree. it was pretty inspiring to hear him say what he's been able to do in the state. he definitely has figured out how to be a successful collaborator and he is constantly working on projects that interest him. he's done a lot in his 4 / 5 years out of school.. hope we can do it too

    ReplyDelete